Friday 11 July 2014

Cleethorpes Town vs Grimsby Town

The time has finally come. The beginning of a new season. Could this be our year? The Bradley Community Stadium is a place I have visited a few times in the past but I haven't  had my camera with me at the time at the time. The first game I watched  was when Grimsby Town  beat Grimsby Borough 11-2 in their own back yard. The following year we played Cleethorpes Town and beat them 2-0. The last time I visited I was supporting Cleethorpes when they played Teversal FC. I really enjoyed that game and Cleethorpes
won 3-0.

This is a game I have been looking forward too. Newly promoted Cleethorpes Town have high ambitions by already announcing that they want to turn their successful season into a double promotion.  I booked my ticket with Kieran Kirk 3 weeks before the game to avoid disappointment. With just 1000 tickets available and the sell outs of the last two games Grimsby had played their, we thought this was a wise decision.




The Stadium is very new. It can hold up to 1000 people. There is a small stand on the right hand side of the pitch can hold around 100 people. There is also a small Terrace behind one of the goals. The stadium is shared by 2 two local teams, Grimsby Borough and Cleethorpes Town. With the stadium just a stones throw away from my house and at only £2.50 a ticket (Sometimes just £1!), It is a great place to watch some entertaining football.

I got up at 8:00 after not having the best nights sleep. I helped with a few things around the house because some people where coming in the take measurements for the new kitchen we are getting fitted. I didn't really do much for the rest of the day. I left quite early for the match with Kieran for the short 10 minuet walk. We nipped to the shop which was just around the corner. I picked up an oasis which was recommended me as I didn't want to spend £1.50 just for a drink in the ground. We then made are way back to the ground and the players where just turning up and Grimsby manager Paul Hurst was having a chat with one of the staff at the stadium. I picked up a program for £1 and I have to say it was absolutely brilliant! The quality blew football league clubs programs out of the water.


I decided that getting food before the game would be a wise option as the game was expected to be a sell out. I ordered a chip bun for £2 which was decent and sat down in the very modern looking clubhouse. It had a nice big TV in there and some really nice seats which is alot better the them old wooden chairs you get.

The gmae kicked off and and the first half was the longest 45 minuets of my life. I was stood there freezing and wish I had my coat. The first half finished at 0-0. The second half was more entertaining. Grimsby made quite a few changes and changed to a 4-5-1 formation. The first goal came from Lenell John-Lewis as he put The Mariners in front but Cleethorpes Town reacted well as Jack Debnam equalised for the Owls. John-Lewis scored his second goal just after the hour mark and an own goal by Cleethorpes Towns star man Luke Mascall scored an own goal to settle the game at 3-1.

I really enjoyed the game. It was very beneficial for both clubs. Cleethorpes Town are also have a
pre-season game on the following Saturday at the linden homes club which is free entry! I cant turn down a free match at a local ground I haven't visited before! I really enjoyed the day. I only spent £4 on the day as I booked my ticket 3 weeks in advance. I will definitely visit again as the ground is just a 5 minuet walk away from my house and even try and get to a couple of away games if they have a coach running.

Here is a video of the full game. All credit goes to Cleethorpes Town FC.




No comments:

Post a Comment